FORWARD 2014: A Survey of Wisconsin Art Now
March 7 - June 29, 2014
Opening Reception with Awards Ceremony
Friday, March 7
6:00 to 8:30 p.m.
5:30 to 6:00 p.m. - Members Only Preview
Every two years, the Charles Allis Art Museum hosts Forward: A Survey of Wisconsin Art Now, a juried exhibition showcasing the work of Wisconsin artists. Laurie Winters, Executive Director | CEO of the Museum of Wisconsin Art is this year's juor. Three thousand dollars in awards, sponsored by the Friends of Charles Allis, will be given during the opening reception on Friday March 7, 2014. Those in attendance will also select the recipient of the $100 Viewers’ Choice Award. Wisconsin Artists interested in entering works can do so online from January 2, 2014 through January 28.
Prospect Avenue Mansions Lecture
John Eastberg of the Pabst Mansion
Thursday, March 27
A look at the magnificent mansions of Milwaukee's Prospect Avenue and the stories they tell. Rare historical photographs presented by Pabst Mansion Senior Historian, John Eastberg, with lively discussion that is sure to follow. Purchase advanced tickets online with the Pabst Mansion here.
Milwaukee film historian Dale Kuntz presents selections from his rare collection of classic films from the 30s and 40's. Films are shown on 16mm, reel-to-reel film. Most of these cinematic treasures are not available on DVD so don't miss this opportunity to see these films in their original glory on the big screen. Prior to each screening, Dale fascinates the audience with his knowledge of film history, giving the inside scoop on each film, including bizarre details about the stars and clues to help the audience spot little oddities that ended up in the film instead of on the cutting room floor.
All Singing...All Dancing...All Technicolor
- Jan 15 - Bitter Sweet- 1940 - Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, George Sanders
- Jan 29 - Can't Help Singing - 1944 - Deanna Durbin, Robert Paige, Akim Tamiroff
- Feb 12 - The Dolly Sisters - 1945 - Betty Grable, John Payne, June Haver, S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall
- Feb 26 - Thrill of Romance - 1945 - Esther Williams, Van Johnson, Spring Byington, Tommy Dorsey
- March 12 - The Harvey Girls - 1946 - Judy Garland, John Hodiak, Anglea Lansbury, Ray Bolger
- March 26 - The Barkleys of Broadway - 1949 - Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire, Billie Burke